- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 6 ounce Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped tomatoes and basil. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, using fork, beat butter with Gorgonzola until blended.
3. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well. Return pasta to pot.
4. Whisk Gorgonzola mixture into tomato sauce. Add sauce to pasta and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Romano and serve.