- 1 pound Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups spinach coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Saute the garlic in olive oil for a couple minutes before adding the sausage and red chili pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat until cooked all the way through.in a large sauce pan over medium heat and set aside, about 6 minutes.
- Add the broth, sausage, beans, orzo, oregano, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the orzo is fully cooked.
- Add the spinach (roughly chopped) and simmer for 1-2 minutes until it wilts.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove the bay leaf and serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.