Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup

This butternut squash soup might be my new favorite/go-to soup for winter. It was soooo yummy and easy easy to make. I made it during nap time and transferred it to the crockpot to stay warm until dinner. The perfect fall/winter soup and a family-pleaser at the dinner table!



(original recipe/image from the Barefoot Contessa)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter 
1 tablespoon good olive oil 
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions) 
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling) 
1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled and cut in chunks 
3-4 cups chicken broth (depending on thickness)
2 teaspoons kosher salt 
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1 cup half and half (I used skim milk and it was delicious!)
Crème fraîche, grated Gruyère, Parmesan or croutons, for serving (optional) 

Heat the butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed stockpot, add the onions, and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the pumpkin purée, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. At this point I used my immersion blender to puree until smooth. Next add your peeled and cubed butternut squash (I used a vegetable peeler to peel my squash). Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 20-30 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender. The original recipe says to process the mixture through the medium blade of a food mill, but I just used my immersion blender again to break up some of the chunks, but leaving quite a bit so it is not completely smooth - I liked the texture! Return to the pot, add the half-and-half (or milk), and heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add another teaspoon of salt. Serve hot with garnishes (I topped with Parmesan cheese), if desired. 

No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...