Friday, September 17, 2010

Sundried Tomatoes



I love cooking with sundried tomatoes. They have such an intense tomato flavor....great on pizza, pasta, panini, and in soups! I tried some "homemade" ones this summer while backpacking with a friend and knew I needed to make some! So easy to make and if your tomatoes all come ripe at the same time like mine, it's a perfect way to use and save some of that summer deliciousness. I bought a food dehydrator at D.I. for $15 and feel I've already gotten my money's worth out of it!

I just washed and cut the tomatoes into sections-the Roma's I cut in half and the others I quartered so they were all about the same size. It took about 8 hours in the dehydrator and Voila-sundried tomatoes. I like them soft and chewy so I kept checking them (and eating them) until they were just right. I put them in a plastic bag and into the freezer. Another option would be to put them in a jar with olive oil to cover them and keep them in the refrigerator.

No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...