Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sweet Pepper & Lime Tortilla Soup

This might be my new favorite soup...
besides the fact that it is easy to make and absolutely delicious,
Lily had 3 bowls of it for dinner tonight. THREE!
It's that good!


5-7 small sweet peppers (I buy the big bag from Costco)
1 small onion
4 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 box of chicken broth (about 4 cups)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
chicken*
toppings: queso fresco, avocado, tortilla strips**

chop the peppers, onion and garlic in a food processor and saute in olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes). Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes and black beans to the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes. Finally, add the chicken and 1/3 cup lime juice. Serve with queso fresco (cut into 1/2 inch cubes), avocado and tortilla strips

*I put 4 chicken breasts in the crock pot with a jar of Trader Joe's salsa verde in the morning and cooked it on low until I was ready to assemble my soup. The chicken was perfectly tender and shredded easily making it the most delicious addition to the soup!

**cut corn tortillas into strips and toss in olive oil and salt on a baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10-20 minutes until toasted - keep your eye on them, they can burn quickly!).


2 comments:

Natty by Design said...

This looks delic!

Miranda and Tommy said...

Jana! I didn't realize you knew Rachel! Awesome. She showed me this blog and I will definitely be checking it out. I love new recipes. Thanks for sharing!

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...