Monday, October 17, 2011

Arroz Con Leche




A boys' apartment in my ward invited my roommates
and I over for dinner a couple weeks ago. Javier is
from Mexico and wanted to make us a delicious
Mexican meal. Authentic enchiladas were on the menu
and I asked if I could contribute anything.
He said I could bring some kind of dessert
but time ran out and I showed up empty handed.
I've been feeling guilty for weeks now and so
I decided to make those boys some Arroz Con Leche
during the BYU football game on Saturday.
And let me tell you, it was a HIT!

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 cup rice, short or medium grain
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more if you'd like)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup of raisins (softened in warm water) are optional.
These boys didn't want raisins so I left them out :)
Preparation:
Bring milk to a slow simmer in a large pot, over medium/low heat.
Stir in rice, add in cinnamon and barely simmer, uncovered,
until rice is softened which should be about 30 minutes
(it might take even longer...mine did!). Stir occasionally.
When rice is soft, stir in condensed milk, vanilla, salt and raisins.
Return to a slight simmer and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes
or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice has a
pudding-like consistency
(again, mine took longer; about 20 minutes or so).
Serve hot, topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...