Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mexican Rice Bowl

I was in the mood for Mexican food last night....so I started browsing my favorite blogs and found this recipe on chickpeacafe.blogspot.com. Of course I had to make my own version, so here it is. It was so good and we ate it so fast that there is no picture....next time around! You put some brown rice in the bottom on your bowl, top with the bean and vegetable mixture, and then top with fresh chopped cilantro, avocado, grated cheese, your favorite salsa and a squeeze of lime. (or any combination of the above depending on what you have on hand!) Seriously good and good for you.

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I like to cook it in chicken broth for more flavor)

Saute in a little olive oil until slightly tender:

1 chopped red onion
2 chopped bell peppers (red, yellow or green)
3+ cloves of garlic-chopped
1-2 chopped tomatoes
1 small can diced green chilies

Add:
1 can black beans-rinsed
1 cup of chicken stock
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer to let the flavors blend. (I made this earlier in the day and reheated it just before serving.)
Put out bowls of toppings....chopped cilantro, grated cheese, salsa, chopped avocado, lime wedges....and let everyone create their own Mexican Rice Bowl.
Serves 4.





No comments:

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...