It's Fall!! It's soup season!! I've been trying a few new recipes and pulling out the old favorites as well. This one is absolutely delicious- a combination of two of my favorite flavors.
5 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium sized yellow onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 inch grated fresh ginger (seriously, it's worth buying it fresh)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. chicken base or 2 bouillon cubes
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
2 tsp. salt or to taste
1-2 tsp. pepper to taste
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Chop the onion into small, even pieces and grate the ginger with a fine grater.
In a large stock pot, add 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil has heated,
add the chopped onion, ginger, and minced garlic to the oil and stir.
Cook for about 5-7 minutes
3. While that's cooking, peel your butternut squash and cut into about 1/2 inch cubes. In a small glass Pyrex dish,
add the cubed squash and pour 3 tbsp. olive oil over top.
Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix together so that
all the cubes are coated in the olive oil.
Bake in your oven for 25 minutes.
4. By this point, your onions, ginger, and garlic should be ready. Add 1 tsp. ground cumin and stir, allowing the cumin to get all toasty and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Add pumpkin puree, coconut milk, chicken base, chicken stock. Add salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 25 minutes.
6. Using an immersion blender (or standard blender) blend soup until smooth.
7. Add cooked chicken and heat through.
Top with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime would be tasty