- This is what I'm bringing to Thanksgiving...saw it in Sunset Magazine and had to try it!!!
- CRUST AND SPREAD
- 1/2 cup raw, skin-on hazelnuts
- 6 ounces (about 20) thin chocolate wafer cookies such as Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- chocolate-hazelnut spread such as Nutella
- MOUSSE AND TOPPING
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup very roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Make crust: Roast hazelnuts
on a rimmed baking sheet until light golden, about 18 minutes.
Rub the warm nuts in a kitchen towel to remove skins.
Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
2. Whirl cookies and hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground.
Add butter and whirl until crumbs start to clump together.
Press crumbs over bottom and up sides of a 9 1/2-in. tart pan with a removable rim.
3. Bake until crust is set, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
Spread chocolate-hazelnut spread over crust.
Chill until spread is firm, about 30 minutes.
4. Make mousse: Melt chocolate, sugar, and 2 tbsp. water
in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth,
stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. Beat eggs whites in a medium bowl using
a mixer until they hold stiff peaks. Beat cream
in another bowl until stiff. Stir yolks into chocolate mixture.
6. Fold chocolate mixture gently into egg whites,
then fold in cream until no streaks remain.
Pour mousse into crust and spread evenly.
Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and chill until mousse
is firm at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
Remove rim from pan and cut into wedges.