This is one of the favorite parts of my summer garden-growing lots of basil so I can make lots of pesto! I keep one container in the fridge, and freeze several other containers to use throughout the year.
Here's the recipe I use and making it in a food processor makes it so quick and easy.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.2 Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
use on a turkey sandwich with fresh tomato
toss with freshly cooked pasta
add a layer in your lasagne
add to scrambled eggs or omlette